Thursday, March 24, 2011

Vintage!



Spring is in the air, the crocuses are blooming, green is spreading.

It is time to be outside, it’s time to run around, it’s time to build things.

Stella is also coming into an age where we can “do” things, build and create. And I can’t wait.

Some recent blog posts have really gotten the creative juices flowing.

Teacher Tom recently wrote an interesting blog post about building and creating and the role the adults have to encourage, guide and play with.

Filth Wizardry wrote about a really cool giant Geoboard and reclaiming wooden blocks.


picture stolen from the internet source unknown

All this has reminded me of one of my favorite “toys” as a kid. I would spend hours building with Construx. These building blocks were beams, joints, wheels and peripherals what would allow the child to create large structures; things such as space ships, cars, bridges, buildings etc. I liked these better than Legos because of the shear scale of that you could build.

Huge structures that my mom would graciously allow to fill up the living room or dining room table.

Unfortunately through the years, schools, different states and continents, my Construx set has widdled away to nothing.

So what does a father who wants to foster the same feeling that he had as a kid do?



picture stolen from the internet source unknown

He goes to Ebay of course.

And what do I find under the headings when I search for Construx “Vintage Fischer Price toys”.

Not only am I in another demographic bracket but my toys are now being considered Vintage. Makes me feel old in one way and I find it kinda cool in another.

So my dear loyal readers. I have a question. Is there a modern day version of Construx that I don’t know about? Stella digs her Duplos and I think she would enjoy being able to put other things together.

And if anyone finds some Construx in their attic and don’t know where to get rid of them…I know someone who may be willing to take them off your hands.

PS. While your in your attic, I’ve been trying to get my hands on the old game Simon. It doesn’t exist anymore.


5 comments:

  1. Hey cousin,
    Is Kinex this day and age's Construx?

    Love Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry it's K'nex. I went to the website after the first comment and they look more like legos. Check it out, see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bop It is the new Simon. Think we sold ours - sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. K'nex may be the new version of Construx but I wonder if the parts are too fine for a 3 year old to handle right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fear that our Simon might have burned up in the barn fire, but I'll keep an eye out for it the next time I'm digging through boxes in the basement.

    So did you buy Construx on Ebay??

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete