Monday, March 7, 2011

Mumford & Sons – Sigh No More

In my opinion this is one of the best albums to come out in 2010.

Although there are many good songs, “The cave” is probably my favorite.

Our children usually hear kids’ music. Toddler favorites, Anne kaffekanne, Rolf Zukowski and many more.

It’s more upon request, not force-fed, however I was beginning to wonder if there was a predisposition to kids music or can a child like good “adult” music too.

My question was answered this weekend.

Stella and I went for a short car ride and I had Mumford and Sons on deck.

I had the music turned low to avoid requests for something else; mainly because I didn’t have anything else to offer.

As “The Cave” entered into the second or third chorus, I noticed out of the corner of my eye little bear ears bobbing back and forth in beat with the banjo picking.

I asked Stella if I she liked the song and she replied “yes.”

I asked her if we should hear it again, and she replied with an enthusiastic “yes.”

This time, I turned the music up. Not only the head bopping increase but she also stood “baby” (her doll) up and made her dance.

At the end of the song, Stella smiled at me and said “Baby and I danced to that song”

The lesson I learned?

Kids can and do appreciate good music of all genres. They just have to be exposed to it. They won’t always be open to is, but you can try.

And you know what else… If I don’t have to listen to it 50 times in a row, I can appreciate good children’s music too.

No comments:

Post a Comment