Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dry


We thought it would be a lot of work.

That’s what we’d heard.

With a fresh new baby,

Don’t be absurd.

We kept telling ourselves,

“That’s energy we don’t have…”

Selfishly postponing.

In the spring time we said,

Emmett will sleep longer

Then we’ll have energy

To turn towards the elder.

But then it happened.

By accident almost,

My telephone rings,

My daughter proclaims,

“I’m DRY”

I'm what?

“I’m dry dada!”

I grasp for comprehension,

What could she mean,

Then mommy expands,

“Last night I forgot, She didn’t sleep with a diaper, and this morning she's dry!”

I’m so proud I say,

Good job my child

How much more comfortable it must be

To sleep without

And for a week now

The same

No diaper, no shame

As she proudly exclaims

“I’m a big girl now.”


No comments:

Post a Comment