Sunday, October 17, 2010

An Uncomfortable Silence

This afternoon Emmett fell asleep in my arms and I had the pleasure to hold him for 2 hours while he slept.

This afternoon I also had the displeasure to sit for two hours in the extremely uncomfortable visitors chair.

My butt was numb, my back screaming in pain.

But my son slept.

And I sat in an uncomfortable silence while Maja rested.



My question is this.

I think modern hospitals have come a long way in making delivery and maternity wards much more friendly and inviting. They have taken strides for the care of the birthing mother.

But when I ask are hospitals going to start considering the pain that the fathers/partners go through.

Common folks, this is the 21st century. Fathers are involved in their children’s lives. I know several fathers who have had to suffer through long labor and days afterwards in chairs where a two by four would be more comfortable.

I have to admit that this hospital has remodeled their delivery rooms and there they had really good chairs. But now my wife is going to be in the hospital for another 4 days at least and I have a wonderful plank waiting for me.

Fathers unite; our voices need to be heard. We need lazy boys in every maternity room!





2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Dad!!!
    So cool! Blessings on you, Maja and the two now! How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick said—
    Congrats to you all!
    Excellent news!

    ReplyDelete