Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Who do you choose?

I was astonished and appalled this evening when I opened the www.parenting.com website.

Before the page fully loads the following question is visible…"kids or spouse, who do you love more?"
I'm sure this is supposed to be one of those cutsie little quizzes like should I go blond or redhead. But somehow in our disposable society, in a time when people preach about low morals, during a financial crisis where relationship are strained as it is, this really seems to be the wrong message to be sending to the public.

Does it have to be one or another? Have our attention spans been strained to a point that we don't have the capacity to love more than one person at a time? Are we so insecure that we have to rank even our family members? Talk about feeding the fire for divorce. "see honey, you like Timmy more than me anyway, sign here, you get the house"

I love my wife!

I love my daughter!

Together we make a family!

They both mean and are the world to me. Why do I have to choose? I don't want to. I don't see any value in doing so.

I wrote parenting and told them these exact thoughts. If you feel the same way, even if you aren't a parent follow this link and tell them too that this is not the way to promote family, peace and love.

Yours truly, Jeremy – a loving father to all

2 comments: