Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Laws of Nature

The best way to learn is by doing.

I know this. I like to get my hands dirty.

And now with a young child who is learning everything for the first time this is even more apparent.

It’s a delicate process, trying to facilitate an environment where a child can explore and learn without coming to too much harm.

No matter how many times you say something, the child has to experience “it” themselves.

Teacher Tom recently wrote an interesting blog post about this balance. Natural concequences

Last week, Stella and I sat together on our swing set. She still enjoys the security of her baby swing where she really doesn’t have to hang on.

She likes me to push her high and hard.

We chatted and I mentioned that maybe this year she can graduate to the “big girl” swing so Emmett can have the baby swing.

She found this a tremendous idea.

I ask her if she wants to give it a try.

She responded with an enthusiastic “YEAHHHHHHH”

“Now” I told her, “You have to hang on…the whole time”

“Okay daddy” as I unscrewed her safety net…and push.

Lightly, just slightly back and forth.

I think she’s got it.

I push just a bit harder, still boring by our normal swinging standards.

And I blinked,

I heard a thud.

My daughter is lying on all fours, stunned, motionless at first.

At the apex of the back swing, when she should have kicked her legs forward and lean back, Stella let go.

Sliding with a “Whoomp” onto the ground.

The crying only lasted a minute when we established that all body parts were still working.

Lesson learned? Maybe. In Ratzeburg over the weekend, she ventured onto the large swing and when she was ready, she let me know she wanted to get down instead of just letting go.



No comments:

Post a Comment